Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fun Classes

So... having a test does, in fact, wake one up to the fact that grad school is supposed to be hard. Sort of.

But moving on. Learning various tricks in Photoshop is so much more fun than InDesign was! I made a cool swirly whirlpool of fish following a stream of water out of a photo that was originally just a lot of fish swimming under water, with a swirly bubble pattern.

Today's class will start with the mock sales conference presentations. I picked Carrie Vaughn's Kitty and the Midnight Hour. We'll see how it goes... I don't really know what average numbers are for a mm scifi/fantasy. I tried to look up an average first print run for fiction online, but all I found was bragging/astonishment at print runs of hundreds of thousands of copies, and complaints/disappointment at print runs of a couple thousand. I don't know what the normal is - presumably somewhere in-between.

On a side note, apparently the first print run of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was 1,000. Funny how that worked out.

2 comments:

  1. YES!!!! I was wondering if/when/how I would get to see it!!!

    ReplyDelete