Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Intrigues

Mercedes Lackey's most recent book, and the second in the Collegium Chronicles, expected to be a trilogy.

I was unsure coming into this book, because the first in the series, Foundations, was actually pretty boring. It was a nice set-up, and hinted at greater things, but not much actually happened. I was hoping the next two books would pay off those hints.

Well. Let's just say the third book HAD BETTER BE GOOD. Otherwise, I don't know what this crap is. Yes, I said it. And I say this despite Mercedes Lackey being one of my favorite authors... perhaps she's just more focused on the Secret World Chronicle podcasts/books, because those are pretty fun, but this series, so far, is just not worth buying.

Intrigues went nowhere, only hinted again at the same things hinted before, and I still can't believe the climax was in its final draft. The characters all suddenly do and say things completely against their established personalities, and then later apologize to the wrong people and/or apparently develop amnesia and... poof! everything's back where it started. The end.

2 comments:

  1. Not saying anything. Saying nothing. Yup. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.

    :-P to you to.

    And I never said her normal writing wasn't fluff reading, just that I like it.

    ReplyDelete