Monday, August 8, 2011

Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life

Well, this may be an odd time to review this, but here's what happened:

1. I read it and loved it, but it wasn't out yet and wouldn't be for months. (I had an ARC)

2. It came out, but I was super busy dealing with the end of the semester.

3. It was out and I had time, but I was in Rochester and the book was in Boston.

So now, finally, finally, I shall tell you what I think.

And what I think is I love it! This is a kid's book, yes, yet it deals with some serious issues.
It's funny, it's entertaining, it's responsible, and it hits exactly the right balance.

The simplest summary is this: A boy named Rafe narrates his sixth grade year. He is telling the story after the year is over, but he insists on telling it as it happened. His friend Leonardo illustrates.
Rafe has to deal with a lot - problems at home, a bully at school, and the consequences of his own reactions to these things. I'm not sure how much more to say without spoiling it; I went into it knowing nothing more than that a boy named Rafe wanted to tell his secrets, and I loved it. Even the author's name was being kept back at the time (James Patterson, believe it or not).

I think I have probably overused the phrase "loved it" in this review, but the point I'm trying to make is that this is not just a book I liked. This is a book I'm excited about.

1 comment:

  1. YAY - my favorite book reviewer is back!

    ReplyDelete