Monday, August 29, 2011

Can't Stop Grinning

So all day today, part of me was going: thisissocoolohmygodohmygodthisisawesome!
And another part of me was going: help!ohmygodI'mdoingthiswrongohmygod!
And yet another part was thinking: Be professional. This is like a job. Ohmygodrealjob!


What were all these parts reacting to? Today was my first day at Da Capo!

I am now officially an editorial intern. And guess how I started my day? Rejection letters! That's right, my reign of terror has started already, as my morning was mostly dedicated to clearing the mailbox. That's basically a slush pile with a couple author letters and odd requests mixed in. There were a couple submissions that at least earned personalized rejection letters instead of form letters. After writing them and getting them approved, I signed and mailed them.

Also dealt with today were some mailings for consideration for a prize, a reader's report on a foreign title Da Capo was being offered US rights for, several arguments with the printer (generally solved by pulling the plug), and bouncing a rights request over to the correct department.

I'm going back tomorrow – the internship's for Mondays & Tuesdays. Did I mention how excited I am about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment