Saturday, March 24, 2012

iPad Thoughts, part 1

So... I'm going to start collecting notes/thoughts here.

Which means, if you're not interested in the comparison of tablets, go ahead and ignore me.

What I want in a tablet:

  • Plain text editor with regular expressions (color-coded html a plus)
  • .epub reader
  • wireless
  • good battery life
  • good quality video
  • sketch feature/stylus
  • pdf reader/editor
  • (games)
How iPad meets these criteria:

  • Textastic?
  • iBooks (non-Apple ebooks can be added through iTunes on the computer, then synced to the ipad)
  • wireless
  • Apple's claim - ipad 2: 10hrs; ipad 3: 10hrs [CNET test - ipad 2 (airplane mode): 14.2 hrs; ipad 3 (airplane mode): 12.8 hrs]
  • high-res screen in ipad 3; still no flash
  • no official stylus, but several companies have styluses that work with the ipad; only complaint people seem to have is no pressure sensitivity
  • Well look what I found!
  • tons of games
Other possible tablets:

  • Eee pad Transformer Prime - lighter than ipad, smaller screen, 18hr battery life
  • Sony - wedge shape to reduce glare when flat on table, SD card reader, some complaints about screen brightness, 8-9 hr battery life
  • Samsung Galaxy - bigger screen, thin, 5-8 hr battery life
  • Nook Tablet - no. The nook is an ereader; I have one of those. I want a full tablet.
  • Kindle Fire - see what I said about nook.
Note: Apple, by far, has the most available apps. Finding a text editor with regex seems difficult no matter which tablet I get.

Actually... I thought there was going to be a part 2 to this, or maybe even a part 3, but I may have just talked myself into the ipad...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the default list style is ugly. Going to see if I can change that now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... well, still can't seem to get bullet points, but at least those stupid flowers are gone.

    ReplyDelete