Thursday, September 1, 2011

Wedding Adventures Part 1: Getting There

I checked on my train Tuesday night, and according to the website, it was going to be leaving on time. So I was up late, packing and planning, and getting everything ready to go.
When I got up in the morning, I collected my stuff and dragged it all with me to Emerson to pick up my September T pass, then back to Copley for the walk to the train station. I finally get there... and my train's been cancelled. Apparently the tracks are still underwater (they didn't know this the night before?) and so trains still can't get to Albany. No alternate transport was offered.
The solution? Rent a car and drive! (Thank you Mom!)

I ended up with a little Fiat I decided to call Evinrude after the dragonfly in The Rescuers. It was a cute car - I have a picture I'll share when I get home again and can upload it - but he had such a tiny engine! But my brave little Evinrude and I made it over the mountains - barely - and met up with Uncle Tom in Albany.

About those mountains though... we were being passed by cars pulling giant boats bigger than Evinrude. And another time, trying to get around a truck going about 20mph, I had the gas pedal flat on the floor and realized I wasn't actually gaining any speed. Still, I got here, and that's what counts.


Meanwhile, Uncle Dave's playing hide-and-seek with a typhoon trying to get here in time; Dad's train was also cancelled; Matt and Jess will be leaving directly from work and driving all night; and Jess (the other one) will be driving straight through from Pittsburgh after classes, and picking up Steph from Rochester on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment