Friday, September 9, 2011

A New Year

I'll continue talking about the wedding later, but while I've been pulling that together, life's been happening. Isn't it funny how that goes?

So I've had my first two classes for the semester - ePub overview, and copyediting. I'm excited for both. In the very first class for ePub, he already went over all the basics of HTML and had us make practice pages. And he actually made us stop and think about what each line meant, so I no longer think of the opening few lines as "the gibberish that makes it work that I copy-and-paste onto each page." In the process of learning this, I also realized that I essentially used the hard way when I made the farm's page. If you look at that page and select "view source," you'll see I'm using "XHTML 1.0 Strict" as opposed to "HTML 4.01 Transitional" which is what we used in class. The key difference is the strict vs. transitional - if I left out one end tag on the farm's page, it would screw up the whole thing; if you leave out an end tag in transitional but it can figure out what you meant, it'll do what you meant.

Wow, that sounds cool when I say it like that. And science-fictiony. It's technology that acts on what you think, not what you tell it. Sort of.  :-)

Oh, and I wore my China shirt to the first day of copyediting. "The waves swept overt the coast II typography cocktail."




Ever wondered if this could be true?

2 comments:

  1. Any comments on the shirt from your word 'geeks'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we briefly tried to figure out what had been intended... then gave up :-)

    ReplyDelete