Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lots of Rambling

So, it's definitely been a while. I don't even know where to start...

Classes. Yeah.
Classes have started and I am really, really excited. I'm taking Applications for Print Publishing - we're working with InDesign at the moment - and Book Publishing Overview, which is really, really cool (yeah, I know, I'm in writing/publishing and should be able to express myself better than "really, really cool" but I'm TOO EXCITED... oops, sorry, carried away. Anyway, it's a similar effect to my reaction to the news that ALEX AND WALTER ARE ENGAGED! ...okay, carried away again). To get back on topic, today's class is going to be about the editorial department, which I'm really looking forward to. The homework was to research a publisher and be ready to present on it - perhaps I'll do a post on that too. After classes, we generally all head over to the Tam to hang out & talk.

Work.
Not too much news - work is still fun, with great benefits like cheap/free books and being able to borrow bestsellers. We have even more ereader options to memorize. I'm loving working in the kids' section. Oh, and I got to do the kids' story time once!

Books.
The system for borrowing is being re-worked, so reading the bestseller list is on hold for a while. The last book I checked out was actually the first 3 Guardians of G'Hoole, so I figure now I'm allowed to see the movie. I'm more excited about the Harry Potter movie, though. I've started listening to Mugglecast again (love their chapter-by-chapter).

Boston in general
The weather's cooled down. I've scheduled an appointment to become a lector at church. I still want to go to the beach and the aquarium.

Apartment
I love my roommates. I also love how adult the apartment's furnishings feel. I'm even taking care of a plant! I remembered to water it! This is an achievement for me! One annoyance, though: as I write this blog, I am waiting for Comcast's repair people because we still don't have working cable. Oh well.

Writing
Some progress. Most of it in figuring out just what's been going wrong in a couple stories... which may not have resulted in visible progress (yet), but is definitely a big help. Also, I now have all my Tamora Pierce books, so I might go back to the parody I was writing...

3 comments:

  1. YAY - a "real" blog again! Not that I didn't enjoy the book reviews too - of course. Looking forward to hearing about the editorial dept class!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is THE TAM?
    How was G'HOOLE?
    And which PARODY?
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tam = bar
    G'Hoole = fun
    Parody = Tortall characters acting out Emelan story
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete